Action Steps 4 Better Health
Don’t wait another 75 days – start now
If you wait until 2019 – you still need to wait another 30-60 days before you start to see results.
Why would you want to wait that long being tired, bloated, in pain, having severe IBS or brain fog???
Give up the ridiculous notion that aging is deteriorating. That symptoms are “just part of aging” and that “it’s a bad time to start a diet”
That its expected for your brain, bowels and booty to fall apart just because of age. Like an infant needs love and attention to thrive, an aging body does to survive.
Plan a Menu – Shop for the menu – Prep ahead of time and eat from YOUR kitchen and YOUR fridge. Yes, it’s more work – but saves thousands of dollars and calories (and trans fat and sugar and salt and pounds). Cook enough to eat twice (reheat). Involve the entire family so there will be less of a fight. Give each family member a night of the week to plan/prep/clean up.
Seven to Eight Rule each day.
- 7-8 Glasses of (filtered) water. Preferably in glass bottles (mason jars are great for this and many stores sell the straw covers for these now). Steel is better than plastic and aluminum if you need a more durable bottle.
- 7-8 vegetables and fruit – preferably 3 being green. 5-6 veggie, 1-2 fruit. Eat the rainbow – each color gives your body different nutrients. Buy organic whenever possible.
- 7-8 hours of sleep. Sleep is largely dismissed and greatly overlooked as a major support 4 Better Health. Check out our sleep blog “Why can’t I sleep!” http://www.4betterhealthmedicine.com/blog/why-cant-i-sleep/
Consider food sensitivities as a key factor in why your scale won’t budge (or keeps rising) you have brain fog and why you take that pill everyday (for IBS, migraines, psoriasis, insomnia, acne, joint pain, etc). Try an elimination diet for a month taking one food group out at a time and adding it back in after 3 weeks out. Many use Whole30 for ideas, resources, recipes and menus.
Document your symptoms in the 1 week with the food then start with another food. You must comply with 100% zero for your immune system to reduce alarm and offer you relief.
The Top 5 Sensitivities: Gluten, Dairy, Nuts, Eggs, Soy (and corn is now a solid runner up!). Or come to 4 Better Health for functional medicine IgG food sensitivity testing.
Decrease chemicals – each time you shop – change what you buy -its that easy!
Without realizing it, most Americans eat many chemicals a day in our packaged, take out and restaurant foods. We also clean with and put many chemicals a day on our skin with lotions, soaps and makeup.
- Food: If you can’t pronounce it; look it up – what is it made from? Are there reports of side effects or reactions? Will it interfere with your medication? Is it food (ie: BHA and BHT is one hydrocarbon away from common butaine).
- Skin: Educate yourself about increased skin conditions, hormone shifts and cancers w/ Phthalates, Parabens, Sulfates and Triclosan in your antibacterial gels, soaps, shampoos and other health & Beauty aides.
- Environment: Cleaning products and our home products add to the toxic burden we accumulate through our life time, but you can reduce the exposure by using vinegar or nontoxic products to clean with, change your plastics for glass, remove your Teflon – use ceramic or steel and toss the plastic shower curtains.
Remove artery clogging and diabetes igniters.
Trans Fats and High Fructose Corn Syrup (AKA corn syrup) are added to MANY packaged foods for manufacture cost savings – but they cost you a lot at the pharmacy counter and medical bills in the end. It’s as simple as reading labels and either buying a different product or making it yourself.
Ditch the Dyes.
Yes the candy, popsicles, Skittles, cheese puffs, Gatorades and Goldfish are pretty. But are they 100% safe and good for us? The U.S. is the only country in the world that allows many of those colors in the food supply, never mind marketing most of those foods to kids. These dyes have been linked to neurologic, behavior, skin and gastrointestinal disorders. If you can’t ditch them entirely, drastically reduce the exposure.
Meditation – Self talk – Yoga – CAM
Before you medicate ponder the deficiency
You are not deficient in ibuprofen, Tylenol pm, Mirilax or Prilosec. Headache, fatigue, joint pain, rash, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, brain fog… all symptoms are your dashboard telling you something in the body needs attention. Consider the symptom a red flag and ask yourself “What does this mean?” “What does my body not like or need?”
Move and use your muscles.
Exercise doesn’t have to be the gym or classes. Aim at 20-30 minutes each and every day. Try walking – park further away, always take the stairs at work and make a game to see if you can get 10 trips a day at home, dancing, hiking (look for ones nearby), biking, yoga, pilates, 7 minute workout and try to do things outside for added benefit. Use your phone to track your steps and aim at 10,000/d or for Youtube videos (yoga, pilates, stretching, etc). Do wallsits, planks, downdog, or even wall pushups during commercials or every hour throughout the day.
LAUGH! Find a resource to make you laugh every day. Laughter boosts the immune system, improves sleep and reduces stress. Watch pets, kids and videos. Listen to comedians. Just Laugh!