1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Do not brown.
2. Add the curry or cumin powder and cook a minute more.
3. Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, broth and salt and bring to a boil.
4. Cover and simmer over low heat until vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes.
5. Stir in the apples and honey.
6. Using a blender (or nutrabullet or vitamix) to puree the soup until smooth and creamy.
Alternatively, cool the soup slightly, then puree in a blender in batches. Be sure to leave the hole in the lid open, and cover with a kitchen towel, to allow the steam to escape.
7. Season to taste with salt, pepper and more honey if necessary.
8. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with more curry powder if desired. (Note: As the soup sits, it will thicken up so you may need to add a bit of water to thin it out.)
Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost the soup in the refrigerator for 12 hours and then reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until hot.
Serving Size 4 servings